Central AC outside Fuse Box

Old 04-16-03, 06:57 PM
mrtoledo
Visiting Guest
Central AC outside Fuse Box

What is the reason why a Central AC Unit has an outside fuse box instead of a circuit breaker. Even on new installations I see a fuse box used on the outside of the house. (The pull out type fuse squares).

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-03, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Generally, electrical code requires a local disconnect within sight of a motor.
Some A/C manufacturers require fuse protection (not circuit breaker) for the equipment. So the local disconnect gets installed as a fused disconnect.

Old 04-16-03, 07:31 PM
mrtoledo
Visiting Guest
Thanks...

Why would the manufacture require a fuse opposed to a circuit breaker. Does the fuse offer a better type of protection ?

Old 04-16-03, 07:58 PM
texdiyguy
Visiting Guest
The time/current characteristics of a fuse are much more precise than a breaker.

Old 04-16-03, 09:14 PM
marako
Visiting Guest
Aren't most, if not all, larger double pole breakers (i.e. 40 amp, 50 amp, etc..) rated as HACR (or something like this). Wouldn't this remove the need for a fused disconnect?

Old 04-16-03, 09:36 PM
Sometimes there isnt even any overcurrent protection there, its just a disconnect. There is just a plug in that box.

Old 04-17-03, 04:38 AM
Most HVAC manufacturers are listing the equip for a fuse or HACR circuit breaker. Some are behind the times, and keep the old listing for fuses only. If you compare the characteristics between a fuse and circuit breaker, they offer much of the same protection to the load. The additional benifit of a breaker is that the unit will never lose just one phase and burn itself out.

Old 04-17-03, 09:53 AM
marako
Visiting Guest
HandyRon,
I never thought of that. The main reason I don't like the fuse is that when they pop what do you do? Sure you can replace them, if the nearest supply house is open. So at 8:00pm Friday night when a freak thunder storm causes your AC fuses to pop your now stuck until Monday with no-AC. Not my Idea of fun.