subpanel to subpanel

Old 04-19-03, 07:18 AM
Craig
Visiting Guest
subpanel to subpanel

I currently have a 240 50a gfci subpanel installed for a hot tub.The panel is connected to the main with 40' of 6/3 .THis sub panel has room for additional circuits.I now need to run power to a new sub panel in an new out bldg.Can I run from this sub panel to a new subpanel in the new bldg or do I need to come all the way back to the main service panel?My main service panel is full so if I have to come back to the main service I would need to install a subpanel there or have the main service panel upgraded.I have done the load calcs and the loads are ok so that shouldn't be a problem.

Any input is appreciated.

THanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-03, 07:36 AM
texsparky
Visiting Guest
What is the load requirement of the hot tub ? What are the new load requirements in the outbuilding ?

Old 04-19-03, 07:49 AM
Craig
Visiting Guest
req

The tub requires 50a of 230.The new circuits for the out building would be around 20 -25 ,with no full time load stuff,just lighting and maybe a small hand tool from time toi time.

THanks

Old 04-19-03, 09:41 AM
texsparky
Visiting Guest
Your first post said...........I currently have a 240 50a gfci subpanel.

Your 2nd post said............The tub requires 50a of 230
I believe you just answered your own question. If the tub requires 50 amps and you have a 50 amp panel, where will you find the 20-25amps you need for out bldg.? What is the total wattage of the heaters in the tub ? What size pump motor ? What size blower motor ? You may have a little room left in the 50 amp panel.

Does your existing panel accept mini-breakers, or is it already at the maximum # breakers allowed in the panel per the label. ( ie. a 20/40 panel will accept (20) 1 inch breakers, (40 ) 1/2 inch breakers , or any combination in between )