Light Switch for phantom light

Old 04-20-03, 05:26 AM
willksr
Visiting Guest
Light Switch for phantom light

I recently moved into a house built about 25 years ago and found that there are three switches by the front door. One is for the porch light, one is for the entry foyer light but I have no idea what the third one is for. Is there any way of tracing this down short of tearing open the wall? (Yes, I tried turning the switch on and off to see whether a light goes on anywhere? )

Any ideas?

Will

Old 04-20-03, 07:08 AM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
You flipped the switch and looked for lights to come on, but did you check receptacle outlets as well? This switch might control an outdoor receptacle. Also an attic fan is a possibility, although probably not a real strong one if you have a two-story house (switch would probably be upstairs.) Another possibility is that the switch controls a second hot wire in your overhead light box. This is typically done to provide independent control for a ceiling fan/light kit. Since you said this is an entry hall, I kind of doubt that. I think it probably switches a receptacle somewhere, probably outdoors. Keep on looking, you're bound to find out sooner or later what this switch operates.

Old 04-20-03, 10:43 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hope this helps

Just a thought, but it could also be a switch for an old post light out in the yard.

Old 04-21-03, 05:05 AM
lestrician
Visiting Guest
It's possible it's for that old post light you talk about. Did you take the cover off the switches to see if there are any wires hooked up to this third switch?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: