elec. dryer wiring

Old 04-20-03, 10:58 AM
yesboss
Visiting Guest
Unhappy elec. dryer wiring

I'm trying to run new wiring from 100 amp box to move dryer from basement to upstairs in kitchen. Current wire from box has 4 wires wrapped in ins. looks like 2 hot and 2 ground (red and black wire are hot, white wire and paper wrapped wire are ground at top).

Purchased 50 ft. 10/3 wire to run from box. (has black wire and white wire with paper wrapped down middle. Can I use this, or do I have to get conduit with 4 wires in it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

yesboss

Old 04-20-03, 02:06 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
10/3 wire has black, red, white and bare. What you described as 10/3 is not 10/3, but 10/2. Take it back and buy some real 10/3 and you will be good to go.

Old 04-20-03, 02:29 PM
hvacman
Visiting Guest
check your wiring carefully.....in some cases, i have been told you can have a hot ground wire in the drier at times......many driers that work on 220 have 110 volt motors in them..be carefull

Old 04-21-03, 06:40 PM
EMS68
Visiting Guest
I felt i had to respond on this.....If you are changing the location of the dryer circuit, it is considered to be a new installation, and must comply with current code which dictates a 4-wire circuit, where you will have two hots, a neutral, and a bare ground. As far as 110V dryer motors being hooked to 220, as HVACMAN made reference to, this is normally the case, as you will have one hot leg for the motor, and the other for the heating element, which is why most electric dryers run off 220V.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: