switchplate and outlet covers

Old 04-20-03, 08:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question switchplate and outlet covers

Hi Everyone!

I am trying to start my own little small business making wooden switchplate and outlet covers. Does anyone know if there is a code pertaining whether or not the need to have metal on the back of them? If so, do you know what kind of metal would be used? I know you can but unfinished wooden switchplates both with and without the metal lining, but I still am harding a hard time figuring out what the code is, if there even is one. Thanks. Please help.

Old 04-20-03, 09:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

This is copied from the 2002 NEC art. # 404.9
(A) Faceplates. Faceplates provided for snap switches mounted in boxes or other enclosures shall be installed so as to completely cover the opening and, where the switch is flush mounted,seat against the finished surface.

(C) Constuction. Metal faceplates shall be of ferrous metal not less than 0.76 mm (0.030 in ) in thickness or of nonferrous metal not less than 1.02 mm ( 0.040 in. ) in thickness. Faceplates of insulating material shall be noncombustible and not less 2.54 mm ( 0.010 in. ) in thickness if formed or reinforced to provide adequate mechanical strength.

The plates like this that are for sale at the Big Box stores contain this description,"Solid oak wood with steel safety metal backing ", so I would venture a guess that a metal plate would be required.

Old 04-21-03, 06:26 AM
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 8,081
Received 534 Upvotes on 437 Posts
I would venture to guess that the metal is to comply the non combustible part of the code.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: