Running a new service entrance

Old 04-25-03, 06:16 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running a new service entrance

I would like to divide this job up into two different phases and was looking for advice on how to do this.

I currently have a 100-amp panel located in the garage in a home built in 1972. The meter is over 100 feet away and I have decided to upgrade the panel and meter socket to 200 amps. I have called the Power Company and they will replace the 100 feet of wire coming into the house (for a fee) and I am to replace the meter socket with a ringless and open up a 2-foot deep trench for them. They will move the meter the 100 feet to the house t the new meter socket. The new location of the meter socket will be about 3 feet from existing panel.

Phase 1
Have the Power Company come out and pull the meter. I will then pull service feed out of the old panel. Install a new 200-amp meter socket and put the old service entrance cable on one side of the meter socket. The other side of the new meter socket will feed the new panel. I will also install the correct size of ground wire to the water pipe for 200 amp and install a new ground rod outside for the panel. Have the power company put the meter back in the old meter socket so I have power. Have it inspected.

Phase 2

Run a 2 foot deep trench for the power company and have them come out and replace the line to the meter socket and move the meter to the new location.

Questions:

There is a 1-1/2 pipe running from the outside wall to the old panel can i reuse it for the copper wire to feed the 200 amp panel?

Is there a way to jumper the new meter socket temporarily?

Is there a problem with the service entrance wire from the new meter socket to the old meter socket being protected by a 200-amp breaker temporarily?

What are some other things or ideas I left out?

I am going to take the plan to the inspector before I pull the permit but wanted to make sure it made sense.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-03, 07:21 AM
J
johnnyd2
Visiting Guest
Are you on speaking terms with your inspector? If so, it would be worth your time to have him come out and do a pre-inspection before you start work, so you can make sure:

>the exisiting 1 1/2" conduit is usable

>the ground rod set-up is done according to local practice (sometimes the conductivity of the soil in a given area require two grounding rods instaled in a very specific way)

>grounding to the water pipe is done properly

I did something similar on my place, but subbed out part of the job to an electrician, who also provided much valuable design assistance, and got advice from various forums like this one AND from my inspector, for the rest. Why not place a preliminary call to your inspector and pose these questions to him?

Old 04-25-03, 07:25 AM
J
johnnyd2
Visiting Guest
now that I re-read your post, I see you already plan to take this to the inspector, so disregard that part. The whole project seems doable, though.

Old 04-25-03, 11:26 AM
T
texsparky
Visiting Guest
Have the power company put the meter back in the old meter socket so I have power. Have it inspected.
Most PoCos will not put a meter in and make connections until it passes inspection.
There is a 1-1/2 pipe running from the outside wall to the old panel can i reuse it for the copper wire to feed the 200 amp panel?
What type of pipe? It most likely will need to be 2" to accomodate the 3- 2/0 and 1- #6 bond that a 200 amp requires. Does your PoCo require the neutral to be bonded in the meter can or at the panel ? Different utilities allow the bond at the panel or meter can. Some are at the meter only. Some are at the panel only.
The new location of the meter socket will be about 3 feet from existing panel.
You need to run this past your inspector. The amount of unprotected service entrance conductor allowed inside a dwelling is very limited. Usually at the nearest point of entrance.
from 2002 NEC ART.230.70 (A)(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnect shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.
Run a 2 foot deep trench for the power company and have them come out and replace the line to the meter socket and move the meter to the new location.
All utilities that I have ever worked for required the trench to be 3 feet deep to the top of the wire or pipe. Verify the depth with your PoCo.

Old 04-25-03, 12:18 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply you put some good information in the post. Also can the new meter serve as a junction box in any way like I am describing. it would temporary of course.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most PoCos will not put a meter in and make connections until it passes inspection
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are right mine won't either but what i am asking them to do is pull the meter and let me set the new meter socket and panel then put the meter back in the old meter socket. Then have it inspected and once that is done get the trench done and have the power company do their work. Is there a way to jumper the new meter so the power will go through it since I need to have the old one put back in the original?

quote:
What type of pipe? It most likely will need to be 2" to accomodate the 3- 2/0 and 1- #6 bond that a 200 amp requires. Does your PoCo require the neutral to be bonded in the meter can or at the panel ? Different utilities allow the bond at the panel or meter can. Some are at the meter only. Some are at the panel only.

It looks to be Galvanized.

Thanks again