Convert 220 to two -110 lines

Old 04-29-03, 09:01 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 45
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Convert 220 to two -110 lines

I have replaced my electric stove with a gas range.

I'm left with the 220 recepticle that I would like to convert to possibly two 110 recep. One will power a Microwave hood, the other to power 2 overcounter lights.

The fuse box uses 2 ganged 20 amp flip (don't know what they are called) switches that power the 220 outlet.

I DON"T want to run any new wires from the fuse box to the stove area!

Can I possibly run both the Micro and the 2 lights from one outlet?

How do I do this?

thanks, Frank
Old 04-29-03, 10:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
It is possible to convert the 220 volt receptacle to 2 110 outlets , but it depends on your existing circuit. Is it a 4 wire circuit ? ie. 1 red ,1 black, 1 white, and 1 bare ground .
From your description of what you are trying to do, I gather that you don't have a very good working knowledge of electricity and urge you to purchase a book or two on wiring. There are several different ones available at the big box stores. One that is recommended often is by Black and Decker.
Old 04-29-03, 05:32 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

You may not convert this to two 120-volt circuits, but you can convert it to one 20-amp 120-volt circuit, which should be plenty for a microwave hood and a couple of lights.

You (or some qualified person) will need to replace the double-pole breaker with a single-pole 20-amp breaker and a filler plate, swap out the receptacle, and add a switch and light boxes. As tex says, start with a good book or two, and then come back with questions. But working inside a panel is not necessarily a good novice project!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: