recepticle and switch rating?

Old 04-30-03, 08:31 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
recepticle and switch rating?

i have GFCI recepticle rated with the following..

15A at receptacle
20A feed through.

what does 20A feed through mean?

thanks

Old 04-30-03, 09:17 PM
texsparky
Visiting Guest
The contacts in the outlet where you plug a device in ,are only rated for 15 amps and will not accept a 20 amp male plug , but the wiring terminations are rated for 20 amps for continuing the circuit downstream to other devices.

Old 05-01-03, 10:40 AM
F
thanks texsparky.....It looks like i'm okay with puttting GFCI on 20amp breaker

so, i plan on using 20amp breakers and 12AWG wire for all my recepticles in the house.

How about normal recepticles and light switches? the box on those never mention anything about them being 20amp feedthrough....just 15A rated.

i'm okay doing this?

Old 05-01-03, 04:42 PM
texsparky
Visiting Guest
You will be fine doing this.

Old 05-01-03, 05:01 PM
F
thanks again....one more for ya..

if code says the following..

"one dedicated 20Amp breaker for bathroom"

does that mean recepticles, lighting ckt, vent fan, etc ....have to all be on that one breaker?

thanks

Old 05-01-03, 05:41 PM
texsparky
Visiting Guest
If the required 20 amp circuit that is required for a bathroom receptacle serves only one bathroom, then the other outlets ( lights and exhaust fan, etc.) can be on the same circuit , but they are not required to be . If this circuit serves only the receptacle outlet in this bathroom , then it (the circuit ) may serve the receptacle(s) ( but not other outlets ) in the other bathroom(s).

Old 05-01-03, 07:27 PM
F
thanks again. okay.

1) can i do this?

20amp breaker/line - feeds only recepticle and ventfan of one bathroom

15amp breaker - feeds the lighting in this bath, but also feeds other lighting circuits in other rooms.

is this okay?

2) i can feed one 20amp breaker to multiple baths, only if they feed only recepticles? what if i include exhaust fans and leave the lighting on separte 15amp ckts. can i do this?

thanks much...learning a lot.

Old 05-01-03, 07:39 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
1) Yes, it's fine.

2) Not quite sure I follow. You may run one 20-amp circuit to bathroom receptacles in more than one bathroom, but if you do, nothing other than the bathroom receptacles can be on that circuit.

Old 03-10-07, 02:54 PM
S
feedthrough rating for 15a outlet -- is it 20a?

Hi,

On a related note, can I use a standard 15a duplex outlet and use the screws on the side to feed downstream outlets? In particular, is the feedthrough rating 20a? I have a 20a circuit that I want to use mostly 15a outlets with one 20a outlet downstream (the last outlet in the string). I didn't want to pigtail every connection upstream.

I've heard that any UL listed outlet, even if rated 15a at the plug, is still rated 20a at the side connectors. Is this true?

Of course I am using 12-2 romex across the entire circuit.

Thank you.

--Ron

Old 03-10-07, 03:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, this is much the same situation as the OP's. You can use the screws to feed through a 20 amp circuit.

Old 03-10-07, 03:19 PM
R
Yes, the "feed through" on a 15 amp duplex receptacle is rated for 20 amps. You can use the screw terminals on a 15 amp receptacle to continue a 20 amp circuit.

One question. Why are you placing a 20 amp receptacle at the end of a circuit that has 15 amp receptacles on it. If you really have a need for a 20 amp receptacle (ie you have a device that has a 20 amp cord and plug), then you likely will not have much power left on the circuit for other devices.

Generally speaking, most devices that need a 20 amp circuit need a dedicated circuit, or at least can only be shared with minimal loads.

Old 03-10-07, 04:16 PM
S
I have an electric car that requires a 20 amp outlet. The string of outlets is on a side wall in the garage so it won't get used very often. I wanted multiple outlets so I can pick the closest one to the job I want to do. I don't think I will take it over capacity for what I'm using it for. Charging for the electric car is generally done in the evening or overnight.

Is it a code violation to have a 20amp outlet on a 20amp circuit if there are other outlets using it? I thought it would be okay similar to having multiple 15a outlets on a 15a circuit.

--Ron

Old 03-10-07, 04:22 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It's okay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: