ground in panel

Old 05-01-03, 02:00 PM
mloman
Visiting Guest
ground in panel

I'm connecting a new line to an open 15 amp circuit breaker in my circuit panel. None of the wiring in my house contains ground wires, so there is no ground bus in the circuit panel. The new line I'm running does, of course, have a ground wire. Should I connect the ground wire to the neutral bus in the panel (along with the neutral wire)? Thanks.

Old 05-01-03, 02:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes this is the proper way to do this provided the neutral-bus is properly bonded and the panel is properly grounded.It is also a good idea to land the wires under their own screw on the neutral bus(no sharing).

Old 05-04-03, 06:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re: ground in panel

Originally posted by mloman
I'm connecting a new line to an open 15 amp circuit breaker in my circuit panel. None of the wiring in my house contains ground wires, so there is no ground bus in the circuit panel. The new line I'm running does, of course, have a ground wire. Should I connect the ground wire to the neutral bus in the panel (along with the neutral wire)? Thanks.
That will depend on whether the panel cabinet we are talking about contains the sevice disconnecting means. Is the panel the first place were you could cut off power to the house or is there a breaker or switch someplace else that can be used to cut power to this panel? Is youre house a single family detached dwelling or something else?
--
Tom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: