60 amp vs. 100 amp Service

Old 05-02-03, 01:42 PM
BillOH
Visiting Guest
60 amp vs. 100 amp Service

What should I say to someone who thinks that a 60 amp service is as good as a 100 amp service if the load on the two is nearly the same. I contend that in a modern house or apartment the larger service is always better, but I don't really know why.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-03, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
try to convince the person that a 100 amp service will allow for future electrical loads.

Old 05-02-03, 02:21 PM
I believe that 100A is the minimum service allowed. But I could be wrong...

Old 05-02-03, 05:12 PM
If you need less than 60 amps, and you always will need less than 60 amps, then 100-amp service is no advantage. This would usually only apply to a small house with gas cooking, water heating, space heating, and clothes drying -- perhaps in a climate that will never need air conditioning.

Why do you ask?

Old 05-02-03, 08:56 PM
marako
Visiting Guest
If this is a main service to a residence (even a trailer or moble home) 100 amps is the minimum allowed by code.

The cost difference between the 60 and 100 service will be about $10.

Do a load calculation to be sure 60 amps is OK. Its real easy to go above 60 amps. This would have to be a really small house with the very minimum allowd small app circuits, laundry circuits, etc to not go over 60 amps.

Finally even if you can get away with 60 amps why? Absolutley no room for future expansion. May need an AC one day. Don't use the microwave and a hair dry at the same time......

Old 05-03-03, 10:23 AM
Bill, help us out here. Are we talking about a new installation, an existing installation for which an upgrade is considered, advice about whether one should buy a house that has 60-amp service, or a pure theoretical question? Please tell us why you are asking.

Old 05-04-03, 04:21 AM
RickJ6956
Visiting Guest
When I bought my 30-year-old house, the inspector overlooked the fact that it had 50 amp service on the promise that I would upgrade it to the 60-amp code. I've done some DIY home improvement project since then, and learned that 100 amps is minimum. I would love to move to a 200-amp, but that's a few years of savings away right now.

Like the man said, the difference is $10.

The lights used to dim when the microwave kicked on. The lights stopped flickering when the 100-amp was installed.

Old 05-04-03, 05:09 PM
Im not sure about everyone else, but I get 200a panels cheaper than i do 100 or 125's, because of the simple fact that more 200's are sold than anything else. If your changing your entire service out, Im not sure why anyone wouldnt just go 200. Are there any conflicting opinions out there?

Old 05-05-03, 06:55 AM
BillOH
Visiting Guest
60 vs. 100 amp service

I'm asking because a work associate has some apartments he owns that have all gas appliances (stove and heat and a common laundry with gas dryers) with 60 amp service in each unit. He is looking for a new insurance carrier and the ones he has talked to require 100 amp service minimum per unit (one bedroom units). He is arguing that 60 is more than enough. I agree that they should be 100 amp. They are older units.