Grounding using a well instead of water pipe

Old 05-08-03, 01:16 PM
Brendan Kelly
Visiting Guest
Grounding using a well instead of water pipe

Currently there is a 100 amp panel that is not grounded. Will the following work?

The water pipe is not in contact with the ground at all. So what I wanted to do it run a ground wire from the panel to the well and attach the ground wire to the metal suction pipe that is running down into the shallow well aprox 10 feet. Then run a jumper to the water pipe (copper) so it is bonded as well.

Then attach a ground wire to the ground rod I will drive outside the building.
I am hoping it is OK to use the well in place of water pipe since the water pipe does not come in contact with the earth.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-03, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the well in the house? You need to bond the pipe from the well within 5' of where it enters the house.

Old 05-08-03, 01:42 PM
Brendan Kelly
Visiting Guest
It is in a building next to the house. The place where it would be bonded is within 5feet of where it enters the house. So the well is a good substitute for a water pipe?

Thanks

Old 05-08-03, 02:21 PM
No. Your water pipes and other metal piping systems in your house need to be bonded together, if the pipes have no contact with the earth then they are not a ground. Your ground rods are. All your doing to your pipes is bonding them together so they all have the same potential to ground in case of a fault. Since you are connecting them in the panel to the ground buss, they are grounded, but not a ground.

Old 05-08-03, 03:08 PM
Can the well take the place of the water pipe in the Grounding electrode system?

I understand what you are saying that the water pipe needs to be bonded. I guess my question is this. I know if you have metal water pipe and it comes in contact with the Earth for at least 10 feet it needs to be a part of the grounding electrode system. If the water pipe is metal but does not come in contact with the Earth it needs to be bonded but what do I use in place of the water pipe in the grounding electrode system when the pipe does not come in contact with the Earth? What I was trying to ask was would the suction pipe for the well take the water pipes place in the grounding electrode system? In this particular well it is shallow and has a sand point driven into the Earth.

Thanks

Old 05-08-03, 03:36 PM
Re: Can the well take the place of the water pipe in the Grounding electrode system?

Originally posted by John Dillinger
I understand what you are saying that the water pipe needs to be bonded. I guess my question is this. I know if you have metal water pipe and it comes in contact with the Earth for at least 10 feet it needs to be a part of the grounding electrode system. If the water pipe is metal but does not come in contact with the Earth it needs to be bonded but what do I use in place of the water pipe in the grounding electrode system when the pipe does not come in contact with the Earth? What I was trying to ask was would the suction pipe for the well take the water pipes place in the grounding electrode system? In this particular well it is shallow and has a sand point driven into the Earth.

Thanks
If by a sand point you mean a driven well then as long as the well casing is metallic and is driven ten feet into the earth than you can use it as a grounding electrode. If it is less than ten feet in the earth than you cannot use it as a grounding electrode. If your main concern is to improve the quality and lower the impedance of the Grounding Electrode System than your best solution may be to buy rod couplings and drive a deeper rod using a ground rod driving cup and a rented hammer drill.
--
Tom

Old 05-08-03, 07:01 PM
Just drive two ground rods.