Aluminum wiring to range

Old 05-10-03, 07:20 PM
Dee
Visiting Guest
Aluminum wiring to range

We just purchased a new range an found out when we disconnected the old range that we have aluminum wiring (the house was built in the early 70's). We bought the copper wire to connect from the stove and the connectors, but there are only three wires coming out of the wall for the aluminum wiring...red, black and white. Should there be a ground wire on the aluminum side? Are there any other precautions we should take?

Thanks!
Dee

Old 05-10-03, 07:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Aluminum wire was common in the 70's we need more info is the aluminum wire in a pipe if so the pipe is probably the equipment ground. In this case the equipment ground (from the stove) can be attached to the box. when splicing aluminum to copper special care must be taken to use connectors rated for aluminum and copper and a splicing compound like Penetrox must be used to prevent the two metals from eating eachother.

Old 05-10-03, 10:20 PM
M
Up until, i believe the 1996 code, it was ok to ground the metal casing of ovens and dryers with the neutral wire ( the white one ). It may be that you actually dont have a seprate equipment ground, because the house is older. In this case it is alright to tie the ground and neutral together and hook them to the incomming neutral. Also make sure if your connecting copper to aluminum wiring, that you have wire connectors rated for it. Wire nuts that are rated for it are purple and say "AL/CU rated" on the side.

Old 05-11-03, 11:03 AM
Question

I'm sorry I cant find my code book right now (probably at work) But I cannot ever remenber being able to use the neutral conductor for an equipment grounding conductor. Can anyone tell me the code section that allows this or at least used too?

Old 05-11-03, 12:40 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Old 05-12-03, 02:40 PM
RickJ6956
Visiting Guest
And as always, make sure to include a tube of No-Ox in your budget to coat those AL connections!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: