Halogen Undercabinet Lighthing Question

Old 05-11-03, 06:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Halogen Undercabinet Lighthing Question

Some time ago, I purchased a halogen cabinet light assembly (120V, 2 25W halogen lamps) that I wish to install. I wish to hardwire these lights to an existing circuit, replacing a fluroescent fixture. I recall that the instructions mentioned something about high temperature wiring (90 degree??) but, of course, have misplaced the instructions. My home is a 1968 mobile home so I suspect that the wiring from the switch does not meet the requirement. I recall reading somewhere about a situation such as this and using pigtails rather than having to completely run new wire. Has anyone heard of this or have any suggestions?
Old 05-11-03, 07:23 AM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The lighting requirements for 90-degree wiring has been discussed many, many times in this forum. I'd tell you to search for it, but the brain-dead search engine on this forum won't let you search for words less than four characters, and thus you can't search for "90", which is essential to an efficient search. (End of soapbox.)

You only need to replace the last foot or two of the wire with 90-degree wire. But all splices must be made in permanently accessible junction boxes. If an attic or unfinished basement is involved, this usually isn't too much trouble. But without either of these, you will need new box with a blank cover plate to house the splice. Some people might object to the appearance of this. But the only other choice is to replace that segment of wire all the way back to the adjacent existing box, and this may be difficult.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: