rewiring new main panel

Old 05-14-03, 04:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
rewiring new main panel

I wish to to re-wire the main circut panel in my house. The old one is too small and uses the old style fuses instead of breakers. The old panel is 100 amp. My question is, can I use a 200 amp circut panel or do I need to go back to just a 100 amp panel? The 200 amp would be nice if I ever decide to go to an electric furnace. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-14-03, 05:09 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Start by talking to your power company. They may need to upgrade their end first. Then you will almost certainly need to upgrade the wires between the meter and the panel before changing to a 200-amp breaker.

If you want to get started, you can install a 200-amp panel with a 100-amp main breaker. Then once the other stuff is taken care of upstream, you can switch to a 200-amp breaker.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: