GFCI keeps tripping

Old 05-15-03, 05:28 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GFCI keeps tripping

My fishtank (saltwater..) was right in front of an outlet.. and stupid me spilled some salt water in it. It blew the breaker luckily, and everything was cool as long as I only used the top outlet, the bottom would blow the breaker.

I'm in the process of moving, and accidently plugged something into the bottom outlet, that blew the breaker again, and from then on it would keep blowing.

So, I figured I damaged the outlet. I replaced the outlet with a GFCI (like I should have in the first place..)
now, any time I hit the reset button on the GFCI outlet, it trips instantly. Regardless of anything being plugged into it. But the rest of the circuit works fine. Normally I wouldn't worry about it, but the load side of that outlet goes to the range hood, something they're sure to notice isn't working.

Any ideas as to what might be causing my problem? Besides my own stupidity. The breaker is on, everything is OK, but the GFCI trips whenever it's reset. I thought maybe I had the line/load sides reversed, so I switched them. The outlet is grounded.. Hopefully I didn't do serious damage to something

Old 05-15-03, 06:53 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Check both this outlest and the one prior to it for any wire damage. If the GCFI outlet is new, try reseting it while you have it out of the box (if you have metal boxes). Does it trip before you plug anything in it? I understand the GCFI trips, not the main breaker.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: