wiring a lighting fixture

Old 05-16-03, 11:49 AM
Andii
Visiting Guest
wiring a lighting fixture

I just bought a new chandelier with what seem like very clear directions for installing it.

The problem is, the directions only refer to 3 wires, while the chandelier actually has four! What do I do?

The chandelier has: a black hot wire, a silver ground, and TWO white wires.

The ceiling box has: a black hot wire, a copper ground, and ONE white wire.

What's with the extra white wire?

Thanks!

Andii

Old 05-16-03, 12:14 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are both completely white or is there a difference between one or the other? Maybe a stripe down one? Is there no other wires? How many lights does this unit hold? What kind of lights are they? For that matter where does the two whites go to maybe they where supposed to be spliced together and the wirenut had came off take a look at the black and see if it is spliced to another farther back in the unit.

Old 05-16-03, 12:22 PM
Andii
Visiting Guest
I looked carefully at the two white wires, they look exactly the same as far as I can tell and they don't appear to have once been spliced... There was a white plastic cap thingy on the fixture when it came with the ends of all four wires stuck into it, but obviously that had to come off since they were all fastened together.

The fixture does have two lights: regular old, 60-watt bulbs. Could the white wires be one for each fixture? Do they all just get twisted together?

-Andii

Old 05-16-03, 12:26 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most likely the whites connect together with the incoming neutral, and the black goes to the black. But .... I caution you to check carefully to make sure the wire is connected to the same spot on both lamps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: