Remodeling at friend's house

Old 05-20-03, 01:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Remodeling at friend's house

I recently helped a friend with some remodeling work. I am not a licensed contractor and I was not aware that technically, my assistance was illegal. I've been doing furniture work, house remodeling, welding, and construction on my homes for years. When I was asked to help, I didn't give it much thought legally.

In the process of taking out part of a wall, I had to move some outlets/switches, and install a GFCI outlet (kitchen). I also replaced an old light over his sink with two 4" lights housed in a new cabinet. I had done a lot of this type of stuff in my last 2 houses (which passed inspection before selling them) and lately have been taking a home study electrical course to gain more knowledge with electrical work. I was careful to follow the NEC and local codes during the process. The house was built in 1950, so basically anything I did was an improvement over the existing wiring.

1. What should I do to ensure the work is OK?
2. Should I have a licensed electrician go over the work to make it official?
3. Is there a 'general contractors license' or something similar that I should obtain for any future work (I am aware that an electrical license requires apprenticeship, etc.)? I have other friends who use handymen, etc., to do just about every odd job around their homes. Many of these guys are not licensed. I would like to do things right, and I am willing to qualify for any license I need.

Any adivce would be appreciated.



Last edited by supertedusa; 05-20-03 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-20-03, 04:44 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
1. Have your friend pull a homeowner's building permit and get the work inspected. Your friend, the homeowner, is the person doing the work, and you are your friend's helper.

2. There is no designation of "official" work. Having a licensed electrician look over the work will be good, but it will have no legal significance.

3. Check with your city to see what their licensing requirements are.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: