Electrical Outlet Died

Old 06-08-03, 04:10 PM
juraitwaluzka
Visiting Guest
Electrical Outlet Died

The electrical outlet in my master bathroom has been working fine but recently it just stopped working altogether (both plugs). The only things that have been used in this outlet since we moved in 5 months ago are an electric toothbrush, a hair dryer and a curling iron. The lights in the bathroom continue to work fine.

So, I turned off the circuit breaker for the bathroom and replaced the outlet with a new one. Unfortunately, the new outlet doesn't work either. I have wired many outlets in the past and am 100% sure I did the wiring correctly. I'm not 100% sure that the new outlet I bought works but it doesn't seem like something that is likely to be DOA (although I guess that's possible).

I'm not sure what to do from here, any ideas? Why would an outlet suddenly stop working with the outlet itself not being the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-03, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Get this,,, believe it or not, look in your garage for a ground fault recept that has tripped. It may be on the same circuit.

Old 06-11-03, 03:20 PM
juraitwaluzka
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I've looked and looked and can't find a GFI anywhere. I'm assuming there must be one and I can't think of anything else that would cause this problem. I hope it's not hidden somewhere that I can't get to.

Old 06-11-03, 03:32 PM
Consider the possibilty that it's a switch-controlled receptacle and search for a near-by switch in the Off position.-----Good Luck!!!

Old 06-11-03, 03:57 PM
juraitwaluzka
Visiting Guest
Do you mean like an outlet where a wall switch would turn it off and on? If so, I doubt that's the case as it's a bathroom outlet that as worked fine for months and the only switches in the bathroom and the adjoining bedroom are light switches that get turned on and off regularly.

If that's not what you meant could you explain further?

Old 06-11-03, 05:54 PM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
I vote for gfci somewhere. Common locations are garage, basement, outdoor receptacles, bathroom, kitchen. Most common one that is not found is in the garage. I even heard of one in the attic.

Old 06-11-03, 08:18 PM
It's a GFCI. Look harder. Go back to the garage and look behind the canoe.

Please tell us in what year your house was built.