Wiring A Circuit Box.

Old 06-15-03, 05:25 AM
REDEYE
Visiting Guest
Wiring A Circuit Box.

OK HERE GOES. I AM UPGRADING THE POWER TO MY GARAGE TO 100 AMP SERVICE. I UPGRADED MY HOUSE TO 200 AMP AND SAVED THE BOX TO INSTALL IN MY GARAGE. I HAVE BURIED A 100 AMP (3/4 6GA.) SERVICE LINE (24'' DEEP IN A 2" PVC PIPE) TO MY GARAGE ALREADY. NOW I AM TO THE POINT WHERE I AM READY TO CONNECT EVERYTHING TOGETHER. DO I NEED TO BURY A GROUNDING ROD OUTSIDE MY GARAGE TO CONNECT MY 100 AMP GROUND WIRE TO OR WILL THE ONE THAT MY CONTRACTOR USED FOR MY 200 AMP UPGRADE WORK? ANOTHER WORDS CAN I GROUND AT THE HOUSE OR DO I ALSO HAVE TO GROUND AT THE GARAGE ENTRANCE POINT??? ANY OTHER INFO I NEED TO KNOW WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. I HAVE A BASIC UNDERSTANDING OF WHATS NEEDED BUT WANT TO COVER ALL BASES BEFORE I START.

Old 06-15-03, 06:31 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
If the garage is detached from the house you require ground rods at the garage. You also need to unbond the neutral bus bar from the ground.

Old 06-15-03, 06:45 AM
REDEYE
Visiting Guest

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY JOED. I FIGURED SO BUT THOUGHT I WOULD CHECK. NOW ON YOUR SECOND POINT. WHAT IS INVOLVED IN UNBONDING THE BUS BAR FROM THE GROUND?? AS I STATED BEFORE, THIS IS THE OLD BOX(100 AMP) I HAD IN MY HOUSE BEFORE UPGRADING TO 200 AMP. SO WOULD THAT BE DONE ALREADY? HOW DO I CHECK TO SEE??? ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.......

Old 06-15-03, 08:14 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Since this old box was previously used as a main panel, the neutral and grounding bars are almost certainly not currently unbonded. Depending on the panel type, you either remove a green screw, or remove a bonding strap. An ohmmeter between the two bars will confirm whether you have done it properly.

To continue this discussion, use the "post a reply" button, not the "ask a new question" button.

Old 06-16-03, 09:25 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There is usually a screw run through the neutral bus into the steel panel enclosure. This is the "bonding" of ground & neutral. as the enclosure is grounded. Used as a main panel this was correct. What you have now is a subpanel and these must be separated. You also must separate all of your grounds and neutrals. You might not have a separate ground bus in the old panel but you can install one to the inside of the enclosure, they're about $5 - $8 at most home centers. Before installing it sand off all the paint where it will be mounted, right down to bare metal. And use self-tapping screws since sheet metal screws are not permitted.

Hope that helps.

Juice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: