220 from 110

Old 06-17-03, 07:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question 220 from 110

I have exisiting wiring to and unattached garage that is just 110 on underground cable from my house's panel box.

What do I have to do in order to be able to have (1), 220 outlet in the garage without running another wire?
Old 06-17-03, 08:05 AM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 317
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
depends on what size the existing wire size is,how much amperage you need on the 220 line and how far the garage is from the service.If the existing wire is not big enough.The only way to do it without running a new line is to buy a 220v generator Figure out what size wire you have, how many conductors there are and how many amps you will need on the new plug and we can go from there.
Old 06-17-03, 10:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I beleive that it was an 8guage underground wire and then 10/2 in the garage itself for the 110 stuff.

As far as what kind of pull on it, that I do not know.
It will just be a air compressor on it and the sticker for the info is wore off.

It sets about 30 to 40 feet from the panel box that I am wired into.
Old 06-17-03, 11:43 AM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can have 220. Or you can have 110. The tough part is having both.

To have both 220 and 110, you need three insulated conductors, and probably a grounding wire too (depending on factors we haven't asked you about yet). How many conductors run to the garage? It may not be enough.

30 or 40 feet isn't so far that it would be very difficult to run a new cable.
Old 06-17-03, 01:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks all. I have just 2 conducters and a ground going to the garage now.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: