no power untill dryer is on

Old 06-20-03, 11:36 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question no power untill dryer is on

Was using the washer and dryer when all of a sudden the dryer stopped and the power went out on the whole house, except a table light in the living room and a clock rodio in the kitchen. When I turned the dryer back on the lights went on again. Turned off the dryer again no power. Turned dryer on and tried the washer, and the lights started dimming. Never had a problem before untill now, what is going on?

Please help!!!!
Old 06-20-03, 12:41 PM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Good afternoon HappyG. One leg of your power supply has failed.
The first thing to do is call your power company and have them come out and check the supply lines to your house. They will tell you if the problem is in your equipment. More than likely it is their problem and they can fix it quite quickly. The reason the power comes back on when you turn on the dryer is that you are backfeeding the dead bus in the panel through the dryer which is fed from both busses. Don't try to use the dryer or stove as they are only receiving 110 volts instead of 220.
I'm pretty sure the problem is with the power co. but it could be a blown main fuse (if you have them) or a bad main circuit breaker on your panel. The PoCo will let you know which it is.
Have a good day and let us know how you make out.
Old 06-20-03, 12:44 PM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 317
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is this a gas or electric dryer? If the dryer is 220v and the it is possible that you lost a neutral or one of the phases and it is backfeeding through the dryer.
Old 06-20-03, 01:24 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Go to your panel and turn off all the double-pole (i.e., 2" wide) breakers there until the power company checks this out. If you do not, you risk damage to all the appliances in the house. Call the power company NOW!!
Old 06-27-03, 10:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up

It was a fuse in the main cut off box, the PoCo came out and fixed it. So basicly I was running off half the panel 110 instead of 220. Because there is three Apts. in the house, there was two main cut off panels, one to the main panel and one to the other two panels. I guess it makes sense, if there is a problem with one, you don't have to interupt the other. It was off too the side I didn't even see it. I rather they deal with it anyway, electricity is a bad mamma jamma. Thanks for all your help.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: