Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

New home-all my breaker slots full on 150 AMP service--what to do for basement remode

New home-all my breaker slots full on 150 AMP service--what to do for basement remode

Old 06-22-03, 08:42 AM
BSparks294
Visiting Guest

I just bought a new home and we had AC installed which required 2 units because we have two furnaces, etc. Anyway this used up the remaining 4 slots on my 150 AMP breaker box. Not really a problem except that our basement is not finished.

We are going to have 2 bedrooms and a rec room, plus a bath (bath already has a GFI installed). Would a sub-panel be the way to go and is that going to be expensive and extensive to install? Where would be the best place to locate it?

My breaker box (square D) is located on the outside wall of the home next to the section of the basement that is crawlspace. The "finished" part of the basement will be on the opposite side of the house.

My previous home had 200 AMP service and I loved it. We had to downgrade due to financial reasons and well and septic issues.

Thanks, Brad

Old 06-22-03, 08:54 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There are a number of ways to do it, but in my opinion, the subpanel is probably the best idea. A subpanel in your situation shouldn't cost too much, especially if you plan to do the work yourself.

Before doing anything, however, I'd make sure that the 150-amp service is going to be sufficient. If you want us to give a rough idea, tell us how many square feet your house (without the basement), how many square feet the basement is, and whether or not the following are gas or electric: home heat, water heater, cooking, clothes dryer. Also tell us how many tons of A/C you have, and whether or not you have a pool, hot tub or jacuzzi.

Old 06-22-03, 09:07 AM
BSparks294
Visiting Guest
Appreciate the quick response. We have a 2600 sq. ft 2-story home (3 bedrooms with a study and a loft), with a 990 sq. ft basement. We have (2) gas furnaces (80,000 and 100,000 btu), electric dryer, electric stove, AC (2) 3-ton units, no other large electric appliances. Thank you. Brad.

Old 06-22-03, 09:43 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You've already very slightly outgrown 150 amps, even before finishing your basement. Your current demand load is about 152 amps (assuming the unmentioned water heater is gas). The basement will only add about 4 amps of demand load. I'd recommend that you at least consider upgrading to 200-amp service. If you get a larger main panel, then you may not need the subpanel.

Isn't two 3-ton air conditioners overkill for your house?

But since you're so close, you can probably get away with your current service plus a subpanel, assuming you plan no other improvements requiring electricity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: