Recessed lights (Trim)

Old 06-22-03, 06:46 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recessed lights (Trim)

A Couple months ago I purchased 24 recessed cans. The ICT ones that can contact insulation. I purchased them at Lowes. I am now ready to buy the Trim for them and discovered they are discontinuing the brand I bought (they do not have the trim that is recomended) so he wanted to sell me a different brand of trim that was for a can that cannot have insulation contact. It says on the label to only use it only with the can that is not for insulation contact. I took one home and it will fit but am wondering if there is something diiferent about it that it shouldn't use for the ICT can.

Thanks.

Old 06-22-03, 07:57 PM
OOPS!

Old 06-22-03, 08:02 PM
The trim itself says not for direct contact? Or the cans that the trims are sold with are not direct contact. I doubt that it is the trim unless they are closed face. If the trim itself in not marked specifically then it should be O.K. I personally have never come across a trim that is specific to the IC or NON-IC cans they are only specific to the lamps. Inside the can it should also say what type of trim is acceptable for that specific can.

Old 06-23-03, 07:31 AM
H
The cans are IC. The trim they want to sell me says they are for the Halo brand Non-IC cans. But they do fit well on the IC Cans. I'm just confused why it wouldn't say on the package that they could be used on either type of can. Just want to be sure I don't create a fire hazard. It is just a plain 1 1/2 inch wide trim with two springs holding it.

You mentioned closed face. Exactly what is that?

Thanks.

Old 06-23-03, 08:52 AM
A closed face trim would be one that has a glass lens over the lamp. An example would be for a shower. The reason I asked about closed trims is that they hold in alot of heat and cause the thermal protection to trip annoyingly. On an IC can the combination of the insulation above the can and the closed trim can get pretty warm. Again I do not recall a trim being specific to IC or NON-IC the best advice that I can give is to talk to the supplier and see what they recommend Even if the cans that you bought are discontinued there should be an abundance of aftermarket or retrofit parts for them.

Old 06-23-03, 10:33 AM
Gary
Visiting Guest
Trim kit for Halo brand IC housing

Would the brand you are looking at be Halo? If so, they have a web site about which trims to use with which cans. I, too, found it confusing about which trims were acceptable with IC cans, and there is definitely a difference as to which ones Halo says can be used with their IC v. non IC housings.

Home Depot has a fold out flyer from Halo. The flyers are right there on the shelf where the kits are sold. If you refer to it, you will see which cans are recommended for the various combinations of housings, sizes, etc.

I have that flyer around here and will be happy to give you the trim kits that are listed as approved for the light housing you have -- just post a reply to this thread.

ON A RELATED NOTE:

I am looking to see how to attach the eyeball trim, Halo part 78P, to their H7RICT housing. I don't quite understand the international pictures on the cardboard -- two large (3" or so) springs are attached to the trim that meets the ceiling. The turnable eyeball part (where the socket attaches to it) is already together in the assembly. How the heck do you get the springs to go in the slots in the housing when you can't see the inside of the housing as you raise the assembled eyeball?

Old 06-23-03, 10:50 AM
H
Thanks for all of the replies. The can is an emerald brand as that is the one Lowes was selling but the trim was a Halo Brand. And I did pull it up on the internet found out what I needed to know so now will go to Home Depot to check it out. The trim that Lowes is trying to sell me is not the recomended trim for an IC Can. We also called the Company to check it out. Looks like you really need to check things out directly with manufacturer if you have questions and not depend on the local people working in the Big Stores.

Thanks again to both of you for your help.

Harlan

Old 06-23-03, 06:03 PM
Well I guess I learned something new too. Thx for posting back with that info

Old 06-23-03, 06:11 PM
texsparky
Visiting Guest
eyeball trims

Gary,
Closer to the bottom of the cans,you should see 4 L-shaped tabs ( 2 on each side ). Pry these tabs out. This is what the springs on the eyeball trims attach to. Just squeeze the springs together, place them between the tabs and release them. push up on the trim and the springs will open and pull the trim up flush to the ceiling.

Old 06-24-03, 02:11 PM
Gary
Visiting Guest
L-shaped tabs

Donnie,
I saw the tabs once I looked at it again and asked myself what those brackets might be for. I had to really depress the retaining springs to get them in the tabs, but they are very secure now and the trim looks fine. Thanks again.
Gary

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: