No power to outlets

Old 06-25-03, 02:27 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No power to outlets

I have a 3 year old house and as I was using the leaf blower on an outside outlet it quit due to, I suspected a tripped breaker. I checked the breakers and all were on. Today, the wife said there's no power in a front bedroom outlet. I checked them and found no pwr to two outlets and the closet. Again I checked the breaker. The light and ceiling fan work as well as an outlet (not one the offending ones). The electrician labeled one circuit breaker as being for the frt bedrm but...it is only for the ceiling fan and light. I took the plates off all the bad outlets including the switch for the closet and all wiring was intact, no burns etc. I can't figure it out. Any idea from the experts? Thanks

Old 06-25-03, 04:38 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
GFCI?

Do you understand what I mean?

Merely looking at breakers is not a reliable way of telling whether or not they are tripped. When you suspect a breaker as being tripped, you should shut it off and turn it back on.

But I really think you have a GFCI problem. Post back if you don't know how to attack that.

Old 06-25-03, 05:44 PM
P
Thanks John for your quick reply. I only have two GFCI's in the house and they are in the baths and working properly. I did shut off hte breaker and turn it on again but still no power to the outlets. I might add, that the electrician walked off the job and I had to finish the job myself but all it amounted to was putting in receptacles and switches. I do know that I did not "twist" all the connecting wires before I put the wire ties on- I hoped that would have been my problem? Anyhway, the electrician should have had lights and all receptacles on the one circuit in the bedroom. Later I have to put the wp tub onb it's own circuit but i'll wait until cooler weather. But my current problem is the loss of power to the outlets. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks, John

Old 06-25-03, 06:00 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You have more GFCIs. You just don't know it yet. Look around again. They can be anywhere, including behind the jetski in the garage, or behind the artificial Christmas tree in the basement, or on the back porch, or in a closet.

If you have $8 to spare, you can buy a receptacle tester at the home improvement center. It will help separate an open hot from an open neutral.

Old 06-25-03, 07:27 PM
P
I'll check around for more CFCI's and get that tester and check things out and let you know things went. Thanks again

Old 11-29-03, 05:15 PM
P
Well, here it is some months later and I finally got around to fixing the electricity. After pulling all the pug in receptacles and finding all was intact, I thought, maybe it's the light in the closet-but that couldn't have been it. Finally, I checked out the light switch for the bedroom and lo, the positive wires were not making contact because of my error--I failed to twist the wires together prior to the twist tie. Now all is well. I appreciate you folks helping. John

Old 11-29-03, 05:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I hope this serves as a lesson for all you non-twisters out there!

I don't care what the package says,....twist them wires!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: