Another Outdoor Outlet

Old 06-28-03, 04:13 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another Outdoor Outlet

My house is a brick-facade, which makes it difficult and time consuming to install an outdoor receptacle. The roof's eaves over my porch are low enough to be accessible. Is there any reason why I can't/shouldn't install outlets on the underside of the eaves?

Is there anything different I should do when I install outlets there. I've installed plenty of outlets on the inside of the house. My understanding is that I need a GCFI outlet. I that correct? Do I need to cover the receptacle or will it be OK exposed?

Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Allen

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-03, 06:35 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
You will need a GFCI outlet for just about any type of outdoor receptacle and it should have a cover over it. You can safely locate a receptacle where you are planning, however, I don't think it would meet code. I believe in order to satisfy the requirements of the NEC, the outdoor receptacle must be within 6' of grade level. This probably doesn't really make a difference on an existing structure, but if this was new construction, you would probably have to place it lower, IF, you wanted to use that one receptacle as your code-required outdoor receptacle outlet.