Ceiling Fans

Old 06-29-03, 01:21 PM
A
alexnvrmnd
Visiting Guest
Question Ceiling fan help....

I've been trying to put up my Hampton Bay ceiling fan (with attached light kit) in my apartment for the past week or two, and I've had success with it up there. But, I did have one question: coming from the outlet box, there is a black wire (hot), a white wire, a bare copper wire (ground), AND a RED wire.

So, coming from the fan, there's a blue wire, a white wire, a black wire, and a green wire. Now, I know I connect the blue/black (from fan) to black, white to white, copper to green. But, what is to happen with the red wire coming from the outlet box. Is that supposed to connect to anything or what? The problem is is that the switch on the wall (a double switch where one controls the receptacles and the other one is supposed to control the outlet box, be it a light, fan, etc...). Well, I tried having the red wire connected to nothing, and the switch did nothing. And then, I connected the red wire to the blue/black/black connection, and still the switch controlled nothing. I can only control the fan and lights by pulling the chains.

So, the fan's working fine, but it's the switch that's not doing anything. What can I do about this and fix it? I've contacted maintenance for the building (I'm assuming they'll be coming this week), but I don't want them to take the fan down again, because it's obviously nothing wrong with the wiring I did up there. Any suggestions or help? Thanks anyone!

-Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-03, 03:15 PM
T
texsparky
Visiting Guest
Do not connect the blue/black from the fan to the black in the j-box. Connect the blue/ black from the fan to the red wire only.

Old 06-30-03, 03:56 AM
A
alexnvrmnd
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

LOL!! Thanks for the super advice, but I actually figured that out late yesterday evening. I decided to go to Home Depot to get another switch (in case the old one was bad), and I started playing with a few configurations with the fan's wiring. The last one I tried was the blue/black from the fan to the red of the box out of sheer desperation, and that sure enough did it. The instructions NEVER said to do anything with or even mention a red wire, AND an electrician's book from Home Depot didn't mention it either! Oh well. I do feel a certain satisfaction knowing that I figured it out before "maintenance" crawled their way up to my place mucking things up. If I hadn't figured it out, you would've had it for me, and I thank you for that!

-Gary