Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Problem installing ceiling fan w/o having to rip open ceiling to add extra support

Problem installing ceiling fan w/o having to rip open ceiling to add extra support

Old 06-29-03, 10:00 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am trying to install a ceiling fan where a light fixture was. Problem is the ceiling fan requires additional wood support (2x4) above to hold the weight and withstand any vibration. It's not possible to simply screw the fan mount to the electrical box as before with the light fixture. I do not want to rip into the ceiling to add the additional support so what can I do?
I thought of adding a 24" dia. 3/4" thk. wooden plywood disk to the outside of the ceiling straddling the joints and screwed into them, beveled and finished to match the ceiling. Then mounting the fan to the disk. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-03, 04:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The hardware store will carry a bracket that will slide in the ceiling hole from below, then expand to brace itself between the two joists above. Look in the electrical section.

Old 06-30-03, 06:17 AM
H
hotarc
Visiting Guest
I'd either use one of those fan braces Ron mentioned, or, if you have access from above, then just mount a new box. What type of box are you using, plastic or metal? If it is plastic, you'll likely need to install a new fan-rated box mounted directly to a framing member. If you can't get to it, you can always cut away your ceiling and mount a medallion to hide the hole, but the special fan brace is preferable and will give you a cleaner looking installation.