Rewiring for new dryer

Old 07-07-03, 06:57 PM
gregdam
Visiting Guest
Question Rewiring for new dryer

I'm in the middle of moving my electric dryer from the basement up to it's new location in the first floor bathroom.
Here's my question...
In the basement, the dryer receptacle is located in a surface mounted brown box, the typical type, with a three prong receptacle. The ground wire is attached to the metal box.
In the new location I wanted to flush mount the receptacle is a typical blue plastic electrical box. I obviosly can't ground the ground wire to the plastic box. At the typical box improvement store I saw a four prong flush mounted receptacle.
Is this the receptacle that I now should use, the fourth plug for the ground wire?
Thanks

Old 07-07-03, 07:04 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes. Since you are moving the receptacle, you can no longer use the grandfathering clause in the electrical code that allows you to use a three-hole receptacle. You must install a four-hole receptacle, and you must use a cable with separate neutral and ground (e.g., 10/3). Then you must replace your three-wire dryer cord with a four-wire dryer cord, and remove the bonding strap on the dryer that connects the neutral to the chassis.

The good news is that your installation will then be safer than it was before.

P.S. Don't use a cheap box. Use a sturdy box. Plastic is okay, but make sure it's not a cheapie. Plugging and unplugging a dryer involves some non-trivial force, and you don't want the box failing.

Old 07-07-03, 08:44 PM
gregdam
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply.
Are you suggesting that I should use a much studier metal box.
If you are, I'm still at the point that switching to a metal box is no problem. And yes, I'm running new 10/3 wire to this new box. I'm also going to buy a new dryer, which I hope will have the insrtuctions for wiring a four wire plug to the dryer.
Again, thanks for the info.
The website is the most informative site on the web.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: