Shallow 2 Gang Old Work Box

Old 07-21-03, 09:51 AM
jwalzer
Visiting Guest
Shallow 2 Gang Old Work Box

I am installing a second switch for a ceiling fan in my office. After pulling out the work box for the single switch that was previously there, I discovered that the there is only remove enough for a box that is about 1 1/2 inches deep. I have looked and called around to try to locate a shallow 2 gang old work box, but with no luck. At this point I am not even sure that such a box exists. Has anyone ever run into a situation like this? Or does anyone happen to have a suggestion on how to handle this problem.

Thanks For All The Help.

-jw

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-03, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Might be you need to use a surface mounted box over the existing box. Wiremold makes such a box. It attaches to the existing box with the existing screws and they are sold in many configurations at most Home improvement stores.

Old 07-21-03, 03:02 PM
If I'm Not mistaken, there are piggy-back switches on the market. A piggy-back switch is shaped like a duplex receptacle but has two single pole switches, one on the top and the other on the bottom.

Old 07-21-03, 03:22 PM
Such a box does not exist. The single box will not have enough room for the piggy-back switch and the associated conductors. With 14AWG wire, a two wire switch loop with equipment grounding conductor, and an external clamp (no clamp if nonmetallic) the box needs to have 8 cubic inches of volume available. The NEC code book shows a 3"x 2"x 1" box as only having 7.5 cu.in., already a code violation unless you have no EGC. The wiremold box sounds like the only solution.

Old 07-22-03, 09:36 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Put in a square box with a single gang plaster ring. Use a piggy back switch. A 4 in square x 1.5 is 21 cubic inches. The plaster ring will add a little, bt you do not need the volume. You will need to do some plaster/drywall repair.

Old 07-22-03, 03:05 PM
jwalzer
Visiting Guest
Turns out I have a little more room than I previously thought. I actually have about 2 1/2 inches between the front of the dry wall to the board that is mounted behind the switch. I have found a 2 gang old work box that is exactly 2 1/2 inches deep, so this should do the trick.

Thanks for all the help.

jw