Old 07-22-03, 11:08 AM
mike the canuck
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Talking gap?

I have some electrical boxes in my home that stick out to far past the dry wall and leave a gap between the wall and face plate when it is installed...Does anyone know of a remedy for this problem, maybe a special plate that is available to cover the gap?
Thanks in advance to all who respond...Mike
Old 07-22-03, 08:55 PM
scott e.'s Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Anderson, IN
Posts: 386
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
depends if they were added after the house was built or before the sheetrock was applied. If they are original, you could (turn off the power first) slide a hacksaw blade between the box and the stud it is nailed to and cut off the nails. This would allow the box to be removed and replaced with an old work box which could be set to the right depth. If these are added outlets, remove the old work box and re-install for the correct depth.
Old 07-23-03, 07:25 AM
txdiyguy's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 241
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If they're not sticking out too far and are plastic or some kind of composite material, you might could use a hacksaw blade to trim off the exposed portion of the box flush with the wall. You can't trim too much or you'll not have a way to fasten the plug or switch to the box.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: