Coverting light switch to switch/outlet

Old 07-27-03, 01:48 PM
ddembrey
Visiting Guest
Coverting light switch to switch/outlet

I'm installing a wall mount for my TV on a wall that has no outlet only a light switch. How and can I convert a existing light switch to a light switch/outlet?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Sincerely,
Dave

Old 07-27-03, 02:12 PM
texsparky
Visiting Guest
Dave,
Shut off the breaker, remove the switch from the box and see if there is neutral present in the box( white wires wirenutted together )
Post back and let us know if there is a neutral available.

Old 07-27-03, 02:14 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the switch has a white wire connected to it, you're out of luck. If the switch has only black wires connected to it, you can probably do it. Shut off the breaker, pull the switch out of the box without disconnecting anything, and tell us everything you see.

Old 07-27-03, 02:56 PM
ddembrey
Visiting Guest
I've attached a jpeg. Hopefully you'll see my situation. If not, I'll try and describe what I see. There are two black wires attached to either side of the switch and there are three white wires capped off inside of the box, these are not attached to the switch.

Old 07-27-03, 03:45 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, this will probably work fine. Buy a combo device, a single device that has a receptacle and a switch. You will pigtail off the white wires to the silver screw on the receptacle. And you will connect the two black wires to the two switch screws. If your first try creates a switched receptacle, then simply reverse the black wires.

By the way, it's somewhat unusualy to have two black wires and three white wires. Are you sure there isn't a third black wire somewhere.

Also, the only way you can attach a picture is to post the picture first on your own web site.

Old 07-27-03, 05:21 PM
ddembrey
Visiting Guest
Thank so much for your helpful advice. This will make my wife very happy. (As it is now she can't see the TV too well. Bad angle.)

Actually there is a third black wire, it is spliced into one of the other black wires. That's not going to change anything, right?

Thanks again,

Dave

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: