Adding a new plug-in

Old 07-31-03, 09:26 AM
conscience4u2
Visiting Guest
Question Adding a new plug-in

I am doing some much needed fixing up in one of my bathrooms and want to add another electrical plug. ** With my two girls and the company they have over all the time, maybe I should say I NEED to add another plug ! ** And being a single mom, everything that has to be done is my job. Anyway,,,,, I have access to an exsisting plug from the bedroom wall, behind the wall I want to put the new plug on, so I'm thinking that getting to it shouldn't be a problem. So, basically all I'd have to do is to drill through the wall from the old plug-in box into the bathroom wall where I want the new one to go. What I'd like to know is about the rules/regulations concerning electrical plugs in the bathroom. What are the guidelines as to how far away from the tub they will need to be ? Or will it matter ? I'm not sure if different states have different guidelines to follow, but just in case, I live in the northwestern part of Alabama. Thanks for the help ! 4u2

By-the-way, GREAT place here, keep up the good work !!!

Old 07-31-03, 10:12 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Before going too far into this you might want to consider just what you intend to plug into this new receptacle. If the one in the bathroom is already being used for hairdryers and curling irons connecting another receptacle on the circuit for more irons and dryers might just end up causing you a lot of problems with tripping. The newer high powered hairdryers today use up most of what a normal 20 amp cirucit is capable of doing all by them selves powering up two would surely trip the breaker.
For what you are describing and I know what your going through (five teenage children myself) you would be smart to run a new line straight from the breaker to the bathroom. This way you would be able to allow them to plug more things in. The receptacle being it is in a bathroom would have to be a GFI one to start. If you are interested in running a new one post back with an idea on where you would like to put it in relation to the sink and tub and then someone will be better able to help you.

Old 07-31-03, 02:15 PM
conscience4u2
Visiting Guest
O.K., considering here,,,,, Just kidding a little.
Seriously tho, about all that would be plugged in would be possibly a nightlight, radio, or the occasional hair dryer/curling iron, but NOT at the same time. The plug-in that's already there is right beside the sink, so I'm not too sure if I ran another one into the bathroom from the one that's in the bedroom (behind the bathroom) that it would be on the same line, if that makes any difference. They would be on two totally different walls too. As far as running a whole new line, I guess that'd be ok, long as I knew what to do. It'd be a long way though, breaker box is in one end of the house and this bathroom's on the other end. O.K., here's the layout of the room. four directions, North, South, East, West. Existing plug-in is on the north wall, the door is there too, East wall- where i want to put the new plug-in. South wall- where the tub/shower is. West wall- a window and the potty are here, sink is in the corner, so it's on the west wall and the north wall too. Hope this is enough info, if you need anymore, let me know. Thanks again. 4u2

Old 07-31-03, 04:25 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Unfortunately, adding a bathroom receptacle to a circuit serving a bedroom receptacle would be a code violation. I'm not sure how much you care about being code-compliant, but we can't really recommend something that violates code.

All bathroom receptacles must be GFCI protected. At least one receptacle must be within 36" of the rim of each sink. There is no required distance from the tub, but you can't put it in the tub enclosure itself. But even if code doesn't tell you so, common sense tells you not to put a receptacle too close to the tub.

Old 07-31-03, 06:02 PM
conscience4u2
Visiting Guest
Of course I'd like to follow the code as I should, so just tell me what I need to do. Glad to see that others have a conscience, makes me feel better. What does GFCI protected mean ? ** Just so I'll know next time. ** For some reason I thought that any recepticals in the bathroom HAD to be at least six feet away from the tub. Hmmm, wonder where I got that. Anyway, I'm ready guys, just point me in the right direction and I'll follow. Thanks much everybody, 4u2

Old 07-31-03, 08:50 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
gard probably gave you the best advice in his response. Run a new circuit from the panel to the bathroom. This is not a particulary good job for an electrical novice, at least not without a lot of study and preparation.

Essentially what you will be doing is installing a new 20-amp breaker in the panel, installing a new box in the bathroom, and running 12/2 cable between them. How you run that wire is the biggest challenge, and one we can offer little advice on since we cannot see where the panel and bathroom are or what is between them.

If you enjoy learning new skills, and you have some technical talent, then you'll get there eventually. Start by checking out a few book on home wiring from your public library. But if you're in a hurry, you might consider how you can hire this job out.

GFCI protection is pretty easy. Instead of buying a regular $1 receptacle, you'll buy an $8 GFCI receptacle. GFCI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interruptor. It's what saves your life if the radio falls into the tub.

Old 08-02-03, 01:12 PM
conscience4u2
Visiting Guest
Smile

Great ! Thanks sooo much everybody ! I appreciate the explanation and suggestions, now at least I know where to start. 4u2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: