Electrical storm problems

Old 08-04-03, 10:43 PM
angelgolightly
Visiting Guest
Electrical storm problems

Someone help me please...two nights ago we had an electrical storm and a power outage. When the power came back on, my central A/C unit, water heater, and electric stove were not working (though the water heater zapped me when I tried to find the reset button). Replaced main 100 amp breaker, one side of which looked a little burnt, and double-pole 40 amp breaker (stupid breaker box isn't marked correctly). No luck. Everything else is working: lights, dishwasher, outlets, computer. What do I do now, short of spending a month's pay on an electrician? I live in an older mobile home, which means at the moment I'm roasting inside a metal box

Last edited by angelgolightly; 08-04-03 at 11:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-03, 06:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Call your power company ASAP. It's probably where you should have started before you spent a dime.

Old 08-07-03, 07:02 PM
jeepers
Visiting Guest
water heater

I agree!!!!!!!!!!
Based on a somewhat painful experience. If none of these items are working, it could be a faulty ground. Very important not to use your hot water tap if so.

When I bought my first home the guy I bought it from had done some rather imaginative wiring. The water heater quit producing hot water, but the water itself would give you a tingle. Found out that the water heater was not properly grounded and it was shorting out through the hot water pipe and thereby charging the water that was moving through it!!

Old 08-08-03, 10:23 PM
angelgolightly
Visiting Guest
It wasn't the power lines...my idiot landlord disconnected some of the wires in my breaker box!!