Wiring a Fluorsecent Light for My Garage

Old 08-05-03, 02:48 PM
locowilly
Visiting Guest
Question Wiring a Fluorsecent Light for My Garage

I have obtained a new four tube fluorescent light fixture that I would like to install in my garage.

The fixture has four wires coming from the attached conduit:
1 white, 1 black, 1 red and 1 green.

I believe that I should connect the wires to the same color that exists for the currently installed lights, but, I do not know what to do with the red wire. Where should the red wire be connected.

Any help that might be provided will be greatly appreciated.

locowilly

Old 08-05-03, 04:08 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
What wires are connected to the existing light. There should be 2 wires + ground. Use the same 2 wires + ground.

Old 08-05-03, 05:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'll read into this based on experience:
Did you by a 2ft x 4ft lay-in troffer for suspended ceilings? Maybe at homeDepot? (great price for bright light)
There are two ballasts inside, and one is connected to the black, the other to the red. (for multo-wire circuits, or split controls) Connect the Black and Red together.
I assume you are connecting the fixture whip to a junction box? or does the fixture go directly over the box in the ceiling?

gj

Old 08-06-03, 05:18 PM
locowilly
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Wiring a Flurescent Light for My Garage

Originally posted by green jacket
I'll read into this based on experience:
Did you by a 2ft x 4ft lay-in troffer for suspended ceilings? Maybe at homeDepot? (great price for bright light)
There are two ballasts inside, and one is connected to the black, the other to the red. (for multo-wire circuits, or split controls) Connect the Black and Red together.
I assume you are connecting the fixture whip to a junction box? or does the fixture go directly over the box in the ceiling?

gj
Thank you for the prompt reply. It will help me very much.

I was given a 2ft x 4ft lay-in troffer for a suspended ceiling. It is new and has never been used. I plan to suspend it with chains from the rafters in my garage and wire it to a new junction box that I will install by connecting into an existing wall plug box using 12/2 wire. It has a fixture whip that I will connect to the new junction box.

Are there any other things that I must do or think about to finish this job??

Again , thanks much for the prompt reply.

locowilly

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: