Determining Proper Light Bulb Wattage

Old 08-08-03, 12:22 PM
Creative1
Visiting Guest
Determining Proper Light Bulb Wattage

How can I tell the maximum size of light bulb that I can use in a lamp that I bought at a flea market. It is from the 50s and does not have any indication on the light itself. I would like to put a 100 watt bulb in it, but I don't know if that would be too much.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-03, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the bulb is enclosed, normally max of 75 watts. That old, I might play safe with 60 watts. The old wiring was not as temperature resistant as nowadays. If it is not enclosed, the heat accumulation should not be a problem. New fixtures are usually marked. Of course, you could rewire the lamp if that would not affect its value. Still, 75 would be the most I would enclose.

HTH

Old 08-08-03, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
With nothing to go on, I wouldn't go over 60 watts.

Home have burnt down for no greater sin than using a 100 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture.

Look at the place where the bulb screws in. Is it metal or plastic or porcelain?

Old 08-08-03, 03:51 PM
Creative1
Visiting Guest
I found it. When I shined a very bright light on the fixture, I can see that it says S60W. So I can assume that it's for a 60watt bulb. This looks like new wiring - brand new cord and the fixture itself is one of those cheap gold things with the cardboard inside. I think I'll replace it with something that can accept a higher wattage. Thanks so much everybody!

-- Susan