Replacing old single box with new double box?

Old 08-10-03, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing old single box with new double box?

I'm going to be adding an exhaust fan in a 40 year old bathroom that currently just has a light switch and duplex receptacle mounted in a non-metallic, "non-gangable" 2- gang box. Ideally, I'd like to replace the existing double gang box with a triple gang box so I can add the fan switch. Is it possible to disconnect all the existing wiring, remove the old box, widen the hole (sheetrock wall), install a new "old work" 3-gang box and hookup all the wiring (existing and new fan wiring) without making a big massive hole in the wall that has to be patched up? Or am I fantasizing about being able to do that in a teeny 3-gang wide hole? Any tricks of the trade here?

Also, does it matter whether the fan hooks up to the 15A lighting circuit or does it need to go on the 20A bath receptacle circuit?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-03, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Certainly what you suggest is possible. If you work carefully, you will not have any drywall repair to do.

However, most people would simply replace the switch with a duplex switch and keep the double-gang box.