Ballpark price for whole house rewire

Old 08-22-03, 07:33 AM
chip
Visiting Guest
Question Ballpark price for whole house rewire

My house is app. 45 years old and 1400 sf which includes 1 bath, add-on family room with laundy, and central air. There is a detached 2 car garage. The service is 125 amps with the box located externally, the original panel is inside and has been converted to a sub-panel supplying the original house. The branch circuits are ungrounded, the 125 amp capacity is inadequate, circuits have been extended over the years with questionable splicing techniques, and in many places the insulation is aging. My plan is to upgrade to a 200 amp service with a sub-panel and 220 v. receptacle in the garage.

As an electrical D-I-Y'er I'm fairly competent but sssslow and I don't have the patience or desire to spend the next 3 years worth of days off, researching, planning and executing a project like this. What's your best guess as to what a pro would charge? I know there are many variables but I'm just looking for a price range. What if I do all the patching and cleanup myself? I live in southern California by the way. Thanks for your time and expertise.

Old 08-22-03, 07:54 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Too many variables. Just get a couple of bids from local electrical contractors.

Old 08-22-03, 11:52 AM
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
You leave a lot of variables on the table but, the average price for this kind of job in south Florida would range anywhere from $1800.00 to $3000.00 to replace the outside and interior panel. That would include piping from the exterior panel to the interior panel, something that is a local requirement as we are not allowed to use SE cable for this.

Old 08-22-03, 12:52 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Double or triple Sparksone42's estimate to include replacing the branch circuit wiring too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: