Combining Circuits

Old 08-25-03, 11:48 PM
official
Visiting Guest
Combining Circuits

Hello,

We are trying to install a 240 dryer outlet to our existing panel however all slots are being used. I'm curious if I calculate the possible load for a circuit if I could combine it with another in effect freeing another slot.. The way the panel is broken down is as follow. Two pole 40a, Two pole 30a, Two pole 30a, 6 - 20a slots, and 4 - 15a slots. Panel is 125a I believe. All are in use. How could I rework to free space for addtional two pole 30a. Without getting another panel or having to install a sub panel. There must be a way. Help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 08-26-03, 09:10 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
In theory, you could combine two circuits into one if the load allows it, and if neither circuit serves a kitchen, bathroom, laundry area, or dining room. However, I doubt that this is the best solution. Other possibilities include:
  • Using tandem breakers. If you tell us the model number of your panel, we can tell if it is designed to accept them.
  • Installing a subpanel next to the main panel.
  • Installing a larger main panel. This probably isn't the cheapest idea unless you are also upgrading the service size.

Old 08-26-03, 12:38 PM
official
Visiting Guest
Here is a scanned copy of the my panels information. Hope this helps.

Old 08-26-03, 12:49 PM
official
Visiting Guest
Sorry I didn't realize there was no image please just follow the address below for the scanned image. Thanks.

http://members.aol.com/vcolborn/scan08262003.jpg

Old 08-26-03, 01:02 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not an electrician so I'll let the experts weigh in as to whether there might be code issues, but ...

I have seen half width single pole breakers (1/2 inch wide instead of the normal 1 inch wide) at Home Depot here in Canada. There were Siemens for sure, maybe Square D also.

Since two half wide breakers take up 1 knockout on the panel face, you could replace the 4 15amp single pole breakers with 4 half width breakers then you will have 2 free spots for the double pole 30amp breaker for the dryer.

Might be worth looking ...

Old 08-26-03, 01:10 PM
official
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by PenguinDave
I'm not an electrician so I'll let the experts weigh in as to whether there might be code issues, but ...

I have seen half width single pole breakers (1/2 inch wide instead of the normal 1 inch wide) at Home Depot here in Canada. There were Siemens for sure, maybe Square D also.

Since two half wide breakers take up 1 knockout on the panel face, you could replace the 4 15amp single pole breakers with 4 half width breakers then you will have 2 free spots for the double pole 30amp breaker for the dryer.

Might be worth looking ...
That might of worked considering my panel only accept zinsco breakers. I'd hate to have to install a subpanel just for a dryer. I hope some solution comes up soon. Thanks for your reply.

Old 08-26-03, 01:11 PM
P
Here is a .pdf spec sheet for the Siemens breakers I mentioned.

I don't know if these work with your panel or if the panel mfr. has something similar.

http://www.sea.siemens.com/resident/product/SQT98.pdf

Old 08-26-03, 01:12 PM
P
You beat me. Don't know Zinsco (I have Siemens) - could they make something similar?

Old 08-26-03, 01:17 PM
P
Would the Zinsco Two-pole twin on this page work? It looks to be as wide as the Zinsco single pole. It can be ordered as 15/20 amp so each side seems to operate separately.

http://www.breakerbroker.com/zinscobreakers.html

Old 08-26-03, 01:56 PM
official
Visiting Guest
Those poles are exactly the ones I have currently. I'm considering just installing a subpanel right next to this panel. Do you or anyone know of a detailed and thorough site on the subject. Thanks

Old 08-27-03, 08:31 AM
S
I have doubled up on circuits many times in older homes where some actually had nothing or only a couple lights on some of them. You should do some research and see where they go. Often bedrooms have little use. Some breakers are not meant to have 2 wires, in that case pigtail them. Here is a great site to do some research. http://www.homewiringandmore.com/index.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: