Old 08-27-03, 03:54 PM
Chris F
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Unhappy Capacitors

Hey guys, I'm trying to find a dual oval capacitor for my ac unit's motor/compressor. However, I'm having no luck finding the type that I need. Basically I'm a DIY person and would rather put one in myself as well as find one without having to resort to ordering the part from the original manufacturer of the ac unit. They go for close to $70, and I know I should be able to find one elsewhere for a much more efficient price. Are any of you other handy guys out there that are aware of where one can purchase electric motor capacitors for a fair price? Let me know, I"ll put the specs below just in case someone see's this that has direct access:

dielektrol dual-oval capacitor
35/10 uf
370 VAC 50/60Hz

It's for a 1/6HP, 115 volt, 60Hz, 1.70amp, single phase motor-with variable rpm's at 1130/1000/875

Let me know,

e-mail addy:
Old 08-27-03, 04:15 PM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 17,505
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you can

Buy from them Johnstone supply has 30/10mfd 370 volts $18.00
try Grainger if you can there Any small electric store should have them on hand. ED
Old 08-27-03, 05:28 PM
Chris F
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I tried both!

Yeah, they both said they couldn't get the capacitor(Johnstone and Grainger-called maybe 3 hours ago or so-St. Louis). So can I use the 30/10 in place of the original 35/10? Also, on the dual capacitor, it measures the farads in uf....Is that just another way of stating "unit of farads"? or does the "u" signify another measurement such as would "m" for micro???

I'd sure hate to put a different rated capacitor in place of the defected one-and screw up the harmony of the units system, but let me know if by getting close enough will do just as good. I'm confused on that one. Thanks Ed!

Old 08-27-03, 07:02 PM
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 8,042
Received 516 Upvotes on 421 Posts
On capacitors the u stands for micro (.000001) and the m stands for milli (.001). The could also be a p. that is for pico(.000000001)
Old 08-27-03, 07:17 PM
Andrew's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 952
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I thought Grainger was "wholesale only"? Are they selling to the general public now?
Old 08-28-03, 07:31 AM
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brethren, Mi
Posts: 1,564
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nothing about Grainger is wholesale. They are pricey and what keeps them in business is industrial where the cost of shopping around would be prohibitive. They have lots of stuff under one roof and ship to the door. I bought an oil charging pump for refrigeration work the other day, under 75$ at the wholesale jobber in town, 155$ at Grainger for the exact same pump. Their catalog makes it easy to shop parts and they will sell to anyone. I bought some caps from a local motor shop for a roto phase that was about the same, under half price.
Old 08-28-03, 09:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
You might try an appliance parts store or similar heating and air store.

This is just a suggestion.

A place called Appliance Parts Inc. in Indianapolis used to sell these caps in a variety of sizes. They can Next Day Deliver one to you. You need to keep the uF the same, but can go HIGHER on the voltage.
The number is 317-488-4000


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: