breaker?2

Old 08-30-03, 07:01 PM
cthack1976
Visiting Guest
breaker?2

Please correct me if I'm wrong but code says you must have all bath receptacles or all of lights and receptacles in one bath on a dedicated 20a circuit, right?. My question is how big of a no-no would it be for me to wire my overhead hall light to this same circuit. Would they fail this and if so, would the consequences be as simple as moving the light to another circuit? I will not be inviting the local inspector to view my "electrical madness" as I have dotingly named this project but I would like to stay in code as much as possible without having to rehang dry wall all over the house. Thanks for any help.

Chad

Old 08-30-03, 07:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are all the outlets (lighting and recepts) in one bathroom on this one circuit. Or is all recepts from all bathrooms on one circuit, leaving the lighting seperate?
If you have the second scenerio, where the lighting in the bathroom is not on the recept circuit, then you can connect the hall light to the bathroom light. If the bathroom light is connected to the recept circuit for that bath (first scenerio), then you cannot connect the hall light to that bathroom circuit. A town inspector would have you recircuit the hall light, if it was inspected, and if it was found.

Old 08-30-03, 09:47 PM
cthack1976
Visiting Guest
I will be wiring like scenario one. thanks. you answered my question exactly. do you happen to know the reason (s) for the code relating to bath circuits? I'm just curious and I can't think of a logical reason although I feel sure the NEC has a perfect one. :-)

Old 08-31-03, 06:06 AM
Many hair dryers/irons are very high wattage. They are trying to limit the amount of load on a bathroom recept circuit to prevent tripping.

Old 08-31-03, 06:50 AM
cthack1976
Visiting Guest
Makes sense? I guess

Old 08-31-03, 05:31 PM
1875 Watt hair dryers

The hair dryers commonly sold will draw 1875 watts at 125 volts. That is the entire ampacity of a fifteen ampere circuit. The requirement for a separate circuit to serve only the bathroom basin receptacles or only one bathroom is to limit the area that is affected when the use of multiple hair dryers overloads the circuit.

--
Tom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: