Help me fit my kitchen light !

Old 08-31-03, 06:19 AM
swayzak2
Visiting Guest
Help me fit my kitchen light !

hi

I've just bought some new kitchen lights.

The old ones were removed during a flood damage redecorate and the
decorators left the cables hanging.

2 cables have black wires and were tied together.

A 3rd had a red wire (presumably LIVE).

Unfortunately I've no idea how they connected to the original light.

Now my new lights have to be earthed - but none of the above wires
correspond to normal earth colour code.

It seems as if there are 2 neutrals and a live !

I don't really want to experiment (although my circuit board has trips
so it wouldn't be too much hassle).

Can someone advise ?

thanks

Old 08-31-03, 08:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This is just a guess but it sounds like the two blacks are the feed to the switch the red might be the switchleg and the two neutrals are well the neutrals. With the switch off test the red wire (with a voltage tester between the red and the white) is it on or off now test it with the switch on did it work with the switch? if so then tie the red to the colored wire (hot) of the light fixture and the two neutrals to the white from the light.if this does not work or if the test does not agree with me then post back and we can try again

Old 08-31-03, 11:17 AM
swayzak2
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Sparky-L.U.697
This is just a guess but it sounds like the two blacks are the feed to the switch the red might be the switchleg and the two neutrals are well the neutrals. With the switch off test the red wire (with a voltage tester between the red and the white) is it on or off now test it with the switch on did it work with the switch? if so then tie the red to the colored wire (hot) of the light fixture and the two neutrals to the white from the light.if this does not work or if the test does not agree with me then post back and we can try again
thanks

When you say "the two neutrals are well the neutrals" which wires do you mean ? You already said that the 2 blacks are the switch feeds and the red a switchleg...that's all the 3 wires accounted for.

Also "with a voltage tester between the red and the white"....I don't see a white wire ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: