pole barn sub panel


Old 09-04-03, 07:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
pole barn sub panel

I'm planning a 60 amp sub panel run from the house main panel off a 60 amp double breaker. I'm thinking of three #6 copper conductors (2 hot, 1 nuetral), plus ground wire and running thru 1 1/4" PVC underground, about 80 feet to the sub panel. The sub panel then would be grounded to two rods.

#1-What is the minimum size bare copper ground I should run from the house? I'm thinking #8, maybe #10??
#2-What size ground wire should be used for the grounding at the sub panel to the rods?
#3-The #6 copper wires have to have a W in the wire name right (ex. THWN)?
#4-60 amp sub panels that are in stores, seem to be limited to a max. of 4 breakers and don't have a main 60 amp breaker? Are these available or should I just get a 100 amp panel ( is a 100 amp panel ok?) so I can have more spaces?

thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-03, 07:16 AM
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brethren, Mi
Posts: 1,648
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Get the 100, for 6 space main lug panels they are cheap and if you have only 6 spaces you do not need a main breaker in it. You need a min of number 10 ground wire,,, need the W in the wires and I believe you can go to 8 for grounding electrode wire but most of us always use 6 bare.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: