ceiling fan/light turn off and on by itself

Old 09-04-03, 09:14 PM
georgerhjr
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan/light turn off and on by itself

Installed Hampton Bay Redington 3 ceiling fan/light. For no obvious reason sometimes the light will turn on/off by itself. Also sometimes the fan will go from low to high by itself. When installed the wall swithch was a dimmer switch but the fan hummed so I changed the wall switch to a regular on/off switch, which stopped the humming. Now the fan/light works fine except that it turns on/off for no apparent reason. Also I didn't find a ground wire in the box. Only 2 wires. There was a green wire attatched to the inluded ceiling mount and a green wire attatched to the downrod (which i didn't use) so I disconected the green wire from the down rod and connected it to the top of the fan and then tied it into the one from the ceiling mount. Did I ground the fan wrong or did I fry the electronics on the fan by having the dimmer switch on there. or something else. Please help if you've heard of this happening before. thanks

p.s. the fan and lights will do this at some point whenever i have them on although not predictably

Old 09-05-03, 07:20 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Some shots in the dark:
  • You may have caused permanent damage by using the dimmer, but probably not.
  • You may have a connection that is not well made and insulated and the vibration of the fan is causing it to make or unmake the connection.
  • The fan may have a built-in remote control and some stray signal is activating it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: