Ceiling fan

Old 09-11-03, 08:02 PM
Clark71
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Ceiling fan

I just replaced an exsisting ceiling fan with a new one. Now the light and fan stay one even when the light switch is in the off position. In the outlet box I have three black and two white wires. One of the black wires is hot, but also is some how connected with the wiring in another room. The old fan worked fine before I replaced it. What could the problem be? I followed the directions that came with the new fan, but still no joy.

Old 09-11-03, 08:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how did you connect the fan to the three black and two white wires. That will help in diagnosing the problem

Old 09-11-03, 09:20 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Any chance that the breaker trips when you turn on the switch?

Unfortunately, sometimes the directions are wrong. The directions almost never cover the case of a switch loop.

This advice may be too late now, but you should have connected the new fan to exactly the same wires as the old fan without disturbing the other connections in the box. If you still remember exactly how the old fan was connected, perhaps you can still do this. If not, answer my first question. Answer Scott's question too.

Old 09-14-03, 11:55 PM
Clark71
Visiting Guest
Ceiling fan

I connected the two white wires to the white wire on the fan. I had to connected all three black wires to the one black wire on the fan, to the fan to get the fan to work. If any balck wire was disconnected then the fan and light would not work.

Old 09-14-03, 11:57 PM
Clark71
Visiting Guest
Cieling fan

I actually connected the fan to the same wires as the old fan, before I even looked at the directions. Also the breaker did popp the first time that is why I looked at the instructions that came with the fan.

Old 09-15-03, 08:35 AM
J
Clark,

Forgive me, but I must be suspicious of your assertion that you connected the wires to the same wires as the old fan. The problem you describe is very common to a miswired switch loop. When a switch loop is involved, it is wrong to connect all wires of the same color. The fact that the breaker tripped is further indication of this.

One last thing to check to be sure is to look a the switch itself. If there is a white wire attached to the switch, then the case is closed.

In a switch loop, the connections are made as follows:
  • Power black to switch cable white.
  • Power white to fixture white.
  • Switch cable black to fixture black.
Your problem is a bit more complicated by the presense of an extra black wire, and I'm not quite sure what to make of that. To correctly implement the steps above requires you to figure out which black/white is providing power and which black/white goes to the switch. A voltmeter can sort that out.

Old 09-21-03, 05:30 AM
Clark71
Visiting Guest
Smile ceiling fan

Thanks for the inputs. I ended up connecting one black and one white together and everything finally started to work right.

Old 09-21-03, 10:19 AM
J
Not everything that works is safe. Unless you verified that the black and white you connected are indeed the power cable black and the switch loop white, your installation may not be safe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: