Circuit Breaker/Surge Arrester

Old 09-12-03, 02:13 PM
mikenh
Visiting Guest
Circuit Breaker/Surge Arrester

I want to put a Siemens Circuit Breaker/Surge Arrester (QSA2020)in my full panel. The easiest way is to replace a 240V breaker, but the two breaker levers on the Siemens operate independently. So is it a real bad idea to have the two loads on a 240v device capable of tripping separately?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-03, 04:27 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what you said, but I think what you want to do is impossible. What do you mean by "replace a 240V breaker"? Replace it with what?

If you are thinking of a tandem or twin breaker (i.e., two skinny breakers in the same space as a regular breaker), this won't work for three reasons: (1) The tandem breaker will provide zero volts rather than 240, (2) Your panel is not designed to take tandem breakers, and (3) You don't want a 240-volt load on a breaker with independent levers (which is the answer to the question you actually asked).

If you mean something other than a tandem breaker, then please explain further.

Old 09-12-03, 05:02 PM
John,
mikenh means http://www.sea.siemens.com/reselec/product/rzcbsa.html
It is a secondary surge arrestor with two single pole 15 or 20A breakers. This allows you to have the surge protection, and not loseout on the breaker space.
mikenh.
You cannot replace a 2 pole breaker (240V) with two single pole breakers without an approved handle tie. Try to find two other adjacent breakers to make the switch.
I have something very similar in my panel. Great idea!

Old 09-12-03, 05:20 PM
J
Thanks Ron. I clearly did not read the original post very well.

Old 09-12-03, 05:38 PM
mikenh
Visiting Guest
Sorry for any confusion. The Siemens unit consists of two 20A breakers mounted together and it occupies two positions in the panel. The standard 240V 20A breaker I propose replacing also occupies two positions. The difference between them is that the standard 240v breaker has the on-off levers joined together, and the Siemens does not. Thanks.