spark

Reply

  #1  
Old 09-17-03, 08:40 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: somewhere down in texas
Posts: 506
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
spark

we bought our home new 2 years ago. why do i see a flash of light in the light switches when i turn them off? is this a problem? also the recessed light in one of our closets seems to go through alot of bulbs.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 09-17-03, 09:13 AM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 9,483
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you checked the fixture to see that the bulbs used in it are not too high a wattage?
 
  #3  
Old 09-17-03, 09:54 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: somewhere down in texas
Posts: 506
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
no i have not. i just replace with the same bulb that was ther when we bought the home new. i will see if the fixture says the wattage somewhere.
i did not mention that sometime the bulb will come on when i start to replace it and it will be warm to the touch before it lights up.
what do you think about the light switches sparking alittle when flipped? mor than one switch, not just the closet.
 
  #4  
Old 09-17-03, 02:57 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
All switches create a spark when switched. Most of the time, the spark is too small to notice. The larger the load controlled by the switch, the larger the spark. The cheaper the switch, the larger the spark. If you are actually seeing the spark without going to extraordinary effort to notice, then you should probably replace the switches with better ones.

Short life on light bulbs is a very different topic. If you have a digital voltmeter, you might try testing the voltage. As little as five extra volts can cut the life of a bulb in half. Try (1) more expensive name-brand bulbs, (2) bulbs marked for extra life, or (3) bulbs marked "130V".

Never use a 100-watt bulb unless you can verify that the fixture is designed to accept it. When in doubt, don't go above 60 watts. Many house fires have been caused by nothing more serious than using a 100-watt bulb in a 60-watt fixture.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: