Old 09-18-03, 02:27 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: us
Posts: 71
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I just installed a gfi with a new circuit. I was checking for current and ground. When I touch the hot black with my hand and touch the ground with my other hand I get a little bit of a shock I don't ever recall this happening before when running a new line.I use a tester but I have a habit of touching the white and ground with my tester and hand and the hot black and ground with my hand.
Old 09-18-03, 02:51 PM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 317
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you touch the hot and the ground or the hot and the neutral you are definately going to get a shock if the circuit is on. you can also get a shock between the neutral and the ground under the right circumstances. If you cannot break the habit of touching the wires with your fingers while trying to test them. get someone else to do it for you.
Old 09-18-03, 05:44 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is a strange way to test a GFCI. If you live, the GFCI is working okay. If you die, the GFCI probably isn't working. Be sure to leave a note so whoever finds you will know that the GFCI is bad.
Old 09-19-03, 09:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
'When I do this it hurts'
Do not do it.
Keep your fingers off the wires. Your skin is a pretty good insulator when dry. If your skin is wet it looses a lot of insulation value. Wet enough and it looses just about all. 10 milliamps through your heart can cause it to STOP.
120 V is more than adequate to do this.
Make sure you life insurance is paid up.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: