splice into indoor box for new outside receptacle

Old 09-23-03, 02:36 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
splice into indoor box for new outside receptacle

I plan to add an outdoor outlet at my home to use for Christmas lights and one flag pole floodlight .

I hope to get the power to it by splicing into a receptacle (not GFCI but could change to one easily) box in my basement currently used for a sump pump. The sump pump runs by itself off a 15 amp breaker. I would run the new service through the exterior wall, and then underground along the front of the house foundation, a distance of about 15 ft to the new box location.

Am I on track here? A few questions...................

Is a 15 amp breaker sufficient for this load?

How deep do I need to trench the wiring for proper code?

What's the best type of wire to use for the exterior?

Do I need GFCI outlets outdoors rregardless?

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-23-03, 03:24 PM
showstopper78
Visiting Guest
Well, sorry but I don't know much about electrical code and things, that is why I love coming here. However I do know that the outside outlet MUST be a gfci outlet OR connected to a gfci outlet. I have been going through all of this myself for a while. My problem is I am doing a church display, and have to have a 200 amp 3 phase box put in with about 48 outlets as well. Seems like no electrical comp around here in Kentucky wants to do it. By the way for more Christmas info you can always got to www.planetchristmas.com that is where alot of Christmas crazies like to hang out. Hope your project turns out well.

Old 09-23-03, 04:20 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's enough for three lights. It's not enough for 30,000 lights.

Don't put the sump pump on GFCI, but run from there to a GFCI receptacle before going outside. Use regular receptacles (in outdoor boxes) outside. Since the lights will be plugged in unattended, get "in use" covers for the boxes.

Bury the cable at least 12" deep. Use 14/2 UF-B.

If it starts to rain a lot, turn off the Christmas lights.

The whole project is probably not code compliant, since the sump pump probably uses more than 50% of the circuit. Code doesn't allow other loads when one fastened-in-place appliance uses more than 50% of the circuit. It would be better to run a new circuit for your Christmas lights.

Old 09-23-03, 04:25 PM
CSelectric
Visiting Guest
First things first. Do not use the sump pump circuit. Lets say something goes wrong with the outside equipment and trips the breaker. That would be real easy for you to not notice... until your basement floods.

Now, to your questions.

1. Yes 15 ams is quite sufficient for a ground light and a recept. (unless you get real elaborate with the Christmas lights.)

2. Assuming you are using direct buriel cable and not crossing a driveway or the like, you will need to trench to 24 inches for a non GFI protected circuit, 12 inches if you use a GFI breaker on the circuit.

3. Again, I am assuming that you are planning on using direct buriel cable (no pipe.) In that case, type UF cable is your only option.

4. The recept, needs GFI protection, either at the breaker, or as a GFI recept. Either choice is acceptible and legal. The light does not need to be GFI protected, but certainly can be

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: