Supplies Needed For Adding A Switch

Old 09-29-03, 12:18 PM
wilsman2
Visiting Guest
Supplies Needed For Adding A Switch

I HAVE A WALL SWITCH THAT CONTROLS A PLUG OUTLET. I WANT TO INSTALL A DOUBLE SWITCH AND CONTROL BOTH THE OUTLET AND A CEILING MOUNTED LIGHT FIXTURE.
WHAT SUPPLIES WILL I NEED?
WHAT TYPE OF POTENTIAL STUMBBLING BLOCKS MIGHT I ENCOUNTER ATTEMPTING TO CONNECT THE NEW SWITCH TO THE LIGHT? (I AM REPLACING A CEILING FAN THAT WORKED OFF OF A PULL CHAIN)?
I ORIGINALLY THOUGHT THAT I COULD CONNECT THE LIGHT TO THE SWITCH BUT THE WIRES CONTROLLING THE PLUG RUN DOWN THROUGH THE WALL AND THE HOT WIRE RUNS TO THE ATTIC. I'D LIKE TO AVOID CUTTING DRYWALL IF POSSIBLE BUT IF THAT IS THE ONLY OPTION I HAVE I MIGHT CONSIDER IT.
WHAT DIRECTION WOULD YOU SUGGEST; NEW SECOND SWITCH OR DRY WALL AND REWIRE?
I'M A TOTAL NOVICE ABOUT ELECTRICITY.
THANKS

Old 09-29-03, 02:54 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The big question is what wires are present in the switch box. Shut off the breaker, gently pull the switch out of the box without disconnecting any wires, and tell us everything you see. Once we have this information, I think this project will be fairly simple and not involve any drywall damage.

P.S. The "Caps Lock" key is just above the left "Shift" key on most keyboards.

Old 10-02-03, 06:27 AM
wilsman2
Visiting Guest
The switch box contains:

Two sets of wires;
Three white connected with a cap, with one black coming off of the white wires connected to the switch.
two black connected with a cap, with one black coming off of the black wires connected to the switch.
Bare Silver ground wires all twisted together.
The switch has two screws on the left side.
Top screw is connected to the black line coming from the two connected blacks.
The bottom screw is connected to the black line coming from the three whites.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-02-03, 06:33 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is this aluminum wire?
In what city do you live?
In what year was your house built?
Does you house wiring use conduit or Romex?

The three white wires connected with a wire nut and pigtailed to the switch puzzles me.

Old 10-02-03, 07:33 AM
frenchsparky
Visiting Guest
i am little puzzled with this one also, any chance that the only outlet is controlled by switch ?? or what ?? the connetion you describe to me is very odd one and i wondering why it did not blew the breaker from that kind of connetion. BEFORE you do anything else first step is check the switch where it go to the first outlet and check to see if still work propely if so then ( make sure the power is off) and look at the outlet see what the wire are hook up is .

the reason that because i try to determed if that is a loop connetion or not .

if it was one of older wireing system and possibity the hot and netural can be reversed >>> be carefull with this one

Old 10-02-03, 08:49 AM
wilsman2
Visiting Guest
This switch controls a plug outlet.
The plug has a black/white/bare wire/right/left connection

The bare wires appear to be aluminum.

I live in Irvine California, house built in 1975. I am the 3rd owner. it's possible that a previous owner modified the wiring to accomodate the installation of two ceiling fans.

It isn't clear to me that the black wire leading from the white wires is pigtailed, it looks like it may be independent.

I have a digital camera, I'll take a picture and upload.

Thanks for everything

Old 10-03-03, 10:25 AM
wilsman2
Visiting Guest
I did a little more research and think that I have a better way of describing this switch.

This is a single pole switch with hot leads one incoming and one outgoing. The neutral wires are tied together in the box and the ground wires are tied together.

The confusing part (to me) is the two black wires pigtailed and connected to the top brass screw. I'm guessing that the switch controls more that one receptical (or did at one time). Is that a possibility?

Getting back to my original question. Can I use this single pole switch to control a overhead light fixture instead of (or in addition too) a plug receptical?

Thanks again

Old 10-03-03, 10:45 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You obviously have more than two sets of wires entering the box. Are the puigatiled black wires on the hot (always hot) side of the switch, or are they on the switched side of the switch (hot when swiotch is on)?

The answer to that question will tell you whether the switch controls more than just the outlet.

To answer your question, yes, the switch can control more than just the outlet, or you can make it control something different. However, you will need to fish an additional wire into the box for the new light. For this to be legal and safe you must not exceed the box fill, and your wire must match the wires already in the circuit (14 guage or 12 guage).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: