3-way circuit

Old 09-29-03, 08:16 PM
Cilchlid1
Visiting Guest
3-way circuit

Heres my problem,
I 'm putting a ceiling fan in my kitchen so I took the old fixture out. It had two wires cables hooked up to it- 2 whites and 2 blacks. The fixture box had a total of 5 cables going in. one was a conductor and neutral and the other 2 cables that were'nt connected to the fixture.

Anyway, after getting the fan motor mounted It wouldnt' go on. So I took it offt to see if I accidentally missed something. I did'nt so put the old fixture back up. Well that did'nt work either. I' do not beleive I changed anything in the wiring.

Now heres the strange part. I decided I'd try tio figure out what was going on so I pulled the switches out and found out that there was a white wire connected to the common terminal on both switches Neither of which were hot. There also is a black "hot wire" in bothe switch boxes and thats even after bothc switches were removed.

Both switches have a cable coming into the box in my ceiling but the white wires are 110v when the switches are on. Each switch is not cutting the current to the other when it's toggled. I've never seen any info on the screwy wiring the thing has.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-03, 11:39 AM
Received 74 Votes on 68 Posts
If you only have 2 wires going to the switches then you do not have a 3way circuit.
You have 2 separate swiched circuits.
What did the switches control before you started the work?

Old 09-30-03, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You state---"it ( old fixture) had two wires cables hooked-up---" Possibly you mean two cables, each with two wires, Black & White, best described as " four cable-wires, 2 Blacks & 2 Whites."

A switch-controlled fixture connected to 2 Black and 2 White cable-wires suggests another switch-controlled fixture in parallel with the one you dis-connected. At this juncture I advise that the only connection at the ceiling outlet-box should be a simple test-lamp socket.

If there was no problem with what the switch(es) controlled prior to your dis-connection of the ceiling-fixture , we may conclude the trouble is in the ceiling outlet-box connections.

We need an exact description of the COB wire-connections. Please distinguish between a "cable" and a "wire"--a cable can have 2 or more wires, but a wire can't have 2 or more cables because a wire is a single,indivual conductor of a specific color.

Good Luck& Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!!!!!